This month we’ve got something a little different for you. I found Mary and Kira on YouTube, they have a scrapbooking channel called Create Craft Repeat and they document all sorts of their creative adventures online. I thought it would be kind of fun to have two different takes on the kits this month, so they graciously agreed to join us in October. Be sure to check out their October gallery and find more inspiration from these two friends on all their social media sites, listed below.
First here’s Kira, then read on for more on Mary.
Hey there! I am so super excited to be guest designing this month, with my bestie, no less! A little about me: I am a stay at home mom to two toddlers (monsters, really), married to my best friend and currently trying to plant some roots in the sunny city of San Antonio, TX after spending the majority of my life in the Pacific NW. I have traded in scarves and rain boots for tank tops and flip-flops and so far, loving it.
And a little about my crafting: I started crafting last summer when I found the snail mail community on Instagram. And that’s where I met Mary! We started as pen pals and quickly gave up on writing letters for text messaging. She only lived 3 hours away from me so while she was over on the west side visiting her mom, I agreed to meet her in person (despite my husband’s fear that I would be chopped into little pieces if I did). Our texting became more frequent and we hatched the genius idea of starting a combined YouTube channel, Create Craft Repeat. And somehow during all of this, Mary also convinced me to start scrapbooking. My fourth ever scrapbook layout is filmed and on our channel. Seriously. You can go look. (But I wouldn’t because it’s not very good.)
Since that time, I have officially become addicted to scrapbooking.
You can see all of my work on Instagram: @kira.gets.crafty
And all of our combined work here:
YouTube: Create Craft Repeat
Facebook: Create Craft Repeat
Facebook group: Create Craft Repeat Community
1. When is your most creative time?
Usually when my kids need the most attention…so I hope I get that same spark later and create during nap time. #momlife
2. How do you unwind?
Scrapbooking. I have almost given up any other hobby since I started this. I love to use any and all my free time getting crafty.
3. If you were in a Rock N’ Roll band, what would your job be?
Probably the band manager. I am crazily organized. Seriously. Mary and I are on some of the same design teams and I serve as her personal assistant at times to make sure she is getting stuff done on time.
4. What is your guilty pleasure?
I “shop” online. I will fill a cart FULL of craft supplies throughout an entire day. Then I never buy anything and close the tab in the browser.
5. If your life was a movie, what actress would play you?
I took a Buzzfeed quiz to answer this one. It said Mindy Kaling. I kinda like that answer so I am sticking with it.
6. What’s your favorite accessory?
My pearl necklace. Classic. I haven’t worn it since I had my youngest son though, he’s a bit too grabby still.
7. If your life were a novel, what would the title be?
How to be the Fun Parent in 5 Easy Steps
8. What was your first job and how did you get it?
I worked at a floral shop. My dad’s best friend owned it and needed someone to answer phones, clean up, take orders, that sort of thing. So he asked me. It is still one of my favorite jobs I have ever had.
9. Share three of your bucket list items with us.
1. Publish a book
2. Travel around Europe
3. Own my own business
10. What is “dressed up” for you?
Well, I currently wear shorts and a tank top literally 100% of the time right now. So I supposed dressed up would be anything resembling an actual ensemble. You know, like jeans and a shirt and shoes that aren’t worn out Old Navy sandals? Would that count?
And now it’s time to meet Mary!
I’m Mary and I’m super duper excited to be guest designing for Cocoa Daisy for the month of October…and to top it off, I get to guest design with my best crafty friend and co-partner for Create Craft Repeat, Kira Ness. But enough about her… Here are 10 things about me:
- I dream creatively. My most inspiring thoughts wake me up in the mornings. I had a pre-wedding dream and woke my soon-to-be husband up sleep talking about Styrofoam balls and Lake Tahoe. No joke. We’ve been married for almost 13 years and have been together for 17! High school sweethearts baby!
- I love chocolate chip cookies. If you put peanut butter in any baked goods, I won’t eat it no matter how much I love you. However, peanut butter candies in a sugar cookie base are okay.
- Since we’re on the topic of food… hot food and cold food can’t touch. Unless they’re meant to go together like sour cream and tacos. I really need my own set of cafeteria lunch trays.
- My first love is for the fine arts. I spent two years in college taking art until I grew up a little and realized that wouldn’t make me much money and decided to become a paralegal instead. Now I make no money being a stay at home mom to my two rotten children who I love and are the funniest creatures alive. Wouldn’t have it any other way!
- I really enjoy a good pun.
- I love inspiring other women. I want to be a part of lifting people up and break the chains of putting one another down.
- You’ll see scrapbooking layouts, project life, as well as bible journaling and maaaaybe even a traveler’s notebook project from me in the future. And whatever else becomes on trend because I am that person.
- My husband says I’m a social butterfly… I think I’m more like an annoying moth… You be the judge.
- My husband and I are co-pastors of a small church in a small town that does big things! I also play the guitar and lead worship on Sunday mornings.
- I was born and raised in Washington state. I love the mountains, the water, the trees, the ferns, the moss, the wet, and the cold. I moved to the other side of the state almost seven years ago where none of that exists. (Okay I’m exaggerating…) To say it’s been a struggle would be an understatement, but I have truly learned to see beauty in the desert.
Here a questionnaire for our members to get to know you:
1. When is your most creative time? really late at night if nobody is home or first thing in the morning while my kids are still quiet. Oh heck…who am I kidding… I squeeze scrapbooking in between loads of laundry, dishes, and feeding my never-ending garbage cans…
2. How do you unwind? Music. I play it so loud that it drowns out the negative thoughts in my head. Heavy Metal really helps release.
3. If you were in a Rock N’ Roll band, what would your job be? Picture a mix between Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, and Pink and you have me.
7. If your life were a novel, what would the title be? “And That’s Today’s Episode of What’s In Mary’s Brain…” a collection of satire comedic short stories based on real life in ministry
8. What was your first job and how did you get it? McDonald’s….I applied
10. What is “dressed up” for you? LuLaRoe leggings…(refer back to question 4…)