May 7, 2012
Hello all! I’m here to dissect a little design for you.
This layout is courtesy of May’s kit, Graffiti Bridge, which is now sold out! Let me walk you through a little bit of my process when creating this layout.
1. My first step is always to do a little misting. Here I used a dark mist just to grunge it up a little. After misting just a tad, I decided to draw my journaling lines. Little did I know that my black pen would literally disappear when I started to write, leaving me little choice but to cover it up! I decided to keep the lines and just type onto white paper and adhere it on top. I also liked how the piece of white lightened the page up a bit.
2. I wanted to add some shape to my layout, and decided to use this punch to create a sort of sideways “T” shape. I then filled the punched out bursts with things from the kit like the “create everyday” flag, a flag made out of folded and stapled ribbon, and the exclusive butterfly stamp, which brings us to step three!
3. Here, I wanted the butterfly to be in white. When I stamped (can you tell I’m a fan of trial and error here?), my ink wasn’t dark enough, so I just took some black paint and lightly fleshed it out. I liked that it ended up looking like a splotch.
4. For the border, I really wanted to use the scalloped stamp. I thought that it would dress up an otherwise plain grey piece of paper, and I loved the effect!
5. Because my stamp slipped while crafting (here I go again), I decided to add a little stitching around the page. For me, this more or less covers up my “mistake” as well as adds texture!
All in all, this layout was a labor of love! I had to go back and fix a few things, but I’m really happy at how it turned out. Hope this encourages you to save those “imperfect” layouts…you never know what they will turn into!
Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!